Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reading List

Another volunteer gave me this link: www.gutenberg.org. It is a site where you can download thousands of books that are no longer under copyright. Since I have time on my hands and love reading anyway, I am thrilled. However, I'm sort of at a loss for what to read. I'm about halfway through Sense and Sensibility and would love ideas for what to read next. I'd like something different, and am open to just about anything...

Suggestions? Remember, these are all out of copyright, so nothing current or new. Thanks so much! miss you and love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some suggestions of books I liked...Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte; Great Expectations by Charles Dickens; Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte; Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens; and just because I found I enjoyed these next two later in life more that I did when I was a kid..The adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer both as you know by Mark Twain...Then there is "Gone With the Wind..another old favorite. Hope you find something to enjoy...Love ya, Jean

Anonymous said...

I know, I know, it's about time I write. Britt and I enjoyed reading your recent blog entries. Hsst. Here are my suggestions: You know that I'm a big Jane Austen fan for many reasons. Her prose is so wonderfully crafted, the benchmark for all others. I also like Thomas Hardy for the same reason but find his themes (lotta failed loves and life disappointment) a downer. Try ping-ponging between Austen and Hardy to avoid depression. I liked very much anything by Anthony Trollope but he is the most "baroque" of the Victorians which means reams and reams of attention to detail, English style. That should give you a good start of worthwhile books. For light, (very light) reading you might like to revisit Roaul Dahl (sp?). Remember, he did James and the Giant Peach? His humor is a bit dark, very sophisticated for children's books (Look for the "Twits" books). Not sure if they're still copyright protected though. Hope that helps. All else well here. You are in our prayers...Betty for the Bayleses