Friday, February 27, 2009

Kenya Speak

Though I’m still far from fluent, I’m starting to internalize some Kiswahili, and am developing preferences for some of the common phrases.

Phrases I Dislike

Tuko pamoja?”: “Are we together?” This is like in a college lecture when the professor wants to make sure the class is paying attention, but slightly more condescending, in my opinion. Many of our technical instructors and guest speakers used it abundantly, so it brings back memories of training whenever I hear it.

Isn’t it?” Always said in English, the speaker is looking for you to agree with whatever he has just said leading up to the “isn’t it.” I find it extremely irritating because either I’ve been nodding and showing my agreement clearly anyway or I don’t want to commit to agreeing and am now forced to. Or it’s used at the end of a rhetorical question, in which case there is no good way to respond.

tsssst” (hissing sound) Used to call waiters in a restaurant or mzungus. I’ve worked as a server long enough to cringe every time this happens and not be able to bring myself to do it. Also, I’m not a dog or a cat, don’t hiss at me.

Phrases I Like

Wewe”: “You” (pronounced “wayway” or sometimes just “way”) Like saying “hey, you” to get someone’s attention. Also a reprimand when used by a mama with a certain tone. I like its versatility.

Hakuna shida”: “There is no problem” Either really means it’s ok, no problem, or there is a problem, but we’ll work it out. I get this from my boss a lot, and generally his body language clues me in as to which one he means. But things always work out, so it’s good to hear. (By the way, “Hakuna matata” from the Lion King really does mean “there are no worries.”)

Labda kesho”: “Maybe tomorrow” Actually this could go on either list. Kenyans use it when they really mean no, but since no one just directly says no (it’s culture), they say this instead. So it’s not good to hear, but great to say, when you are trying to politely say no. Also good for refusing marriage proposals.

Sema”: “Say/speak” Means “what’s the word?” or “talk to me.” My homestay baba (dad) always answered his phone “sema” instead of “hello.” I think it’s funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this was fun to read...I like to learn phrases that are differnt ...and cultural..will look forward to saying them to me when you come home.. Jean

Tammz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammz said...

WEWE!! My favorite phrase EVER in kiswahili...apart from Hapana...