Monday, January 26, 2009

Three Hour Tour

Despite my mom's best efforts, her love of photography did not seem to make it into my genetics. However, sometimes when I'm looking at things I do think about how to capture the image in a photo in a creative way. Here, I think about it a lot, both because I have a lot of free time on my hands and because I want to show you all what it looks like here. So Sunday afternoon I decided to walk down to the bridge that is the boundary between my town and the next town over with my camera. Some tips for taking good pictures have managed to penetrate, so I knew that it was probably too bright, but I couldn't wait for better light because I needed enough time to get home by dark; it was about an hour and a half to the bridge and another hour and a half back. So I set out (in capri pants, which are not the most appropriate for a woman here, but it's a lot of effort to be appropriate all the time and I get stared at no matter what I wear, so I decided to be comfortable for once). The pictures aren't great, and the majesty of the landscape doesn't translate very well, but they will give you an idea. I live in a valley nestled between Mt. Kenya to my east and the Aberdare Ranges to my west. Since all of the mountains are volcanos, the soil is bright red (and gets into everything). That's mostly what makes the coffee here so good, if I can put a plug in for my business partner! Ok, the pictures are just scenics as I walked along the road, so here's what I see every day...









love me

1 comment:

Linda said...

Leah, looks beautiful. Thanks for posting the photos. what time does the sun set where you are? Can you take photos around your house? If so, try and take some about 45 min before it gets dark.