Sunday, January 18, 2009

Raining on Sunday

Just checking in as I begin week #2 at site. It's been sort of a rough couple of days as I continue to try to settle in here. Just like starting any job, this transition has been a little awkward as I try to understand how things work and find a place for myself in the co-op. I priced some basic furniture for the house with my boss and found that I probably can't afford a whole lot. My boss offered to meet with the board to see if the co-op could provide me furniture, which would be awesome. It also means I have to do without a little longer while they work it out. So I'm still sitting on the floor! Not a big deal, but the sooner this house feels like home, the better I will feel about being here.

I went shopping in the open market yesterday. It's less chaotic than the market in the town where we trained, but still quite a bit different than just going to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Most of the people in town assume I'm just visiting or passing through, so it's been tricky to make them understand I'll be around for a while. Yesterday was a housework day. I did laundry, washed my floors, and made an inventory of all my possessions here in Kenya (fits on one spreadsheet!). It's been cool (60s) and rainy for the past few days, which was a nice break from the intense sunshine, but now is starting to be a little gloomy. I know, I know, you people in New York are rolling your eyes about cold and gloomy, so I won't say any more.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and contemplating and analyzing in this past week. I think that I've made peace with my choices and my work for the next few months and I've made a plan for how I'm going to get through this challenging time. I would appreciate your continued prayers and encouragement because this is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. I knew coming into it that it would be, but knowing it will be hard and living through it are two completely different things! Miss you all.

love me

No comments: