Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Old MacDonald

As the people on my compound get more used to me, so do the animals. In addition to the turkey I mentioned before and the baby turkey (which now may be turning out to be just a chicken), there are other chickens, other turkeys, two cats, and some cows. And the spider.

I’ve decided to name them:

Percy: The baby turkey/chicken that comes in my house

Rick: The big tom turkey that struts around the yard

Anita(s): The two female turkeys that I can’t tell apart

Mittens: The black cat with white front paws (yes, predictable and unimaginative, I know)

Kiwi: The all black cat (in honor of New Zealand’s rugby team the All Blacks)

Mr Pheeny: The rooster and my nemesis lately

Ollie: The (very large) spider that hangs out on the bathroom door under my towel

Brownie and Blackie: The brown and black milk cows (more descriptions than names, but they fit)

While I used to worry about getting attacked by Rick, now I watch out for Mr Pheeny, who follows me to the garbage pit every time I dump a bag of trash and poops on my steps when he’s not happy with the selection. He also stands outside my bedroom window to crow, not just at sunrise, but for a solid half hour, usually between 6:30 and 7am.

Also, update on Ollie: I have not seen him for a few days, which worries me. At least when I find him under my towel I know where he is. When he’s not there, I don’t put my hand on any part of my wall in the dark. I’ve gotten very accurate at finding light switches in pitch black.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love how you've personalized all these creatures. Have you found Ollie yet? Keep the posts coming--they make me chuckle and I get to know more about your life in Kenya from them. Love you.